ILLUSION - Exhibition February 2012


ILLUSION
Ceramic work by Ann Linnemann
Exhibition 3 - 25 February 2012
About people in time, landscapes, spaces and views with an Italian inspiration..

CLICK IMAGE = details.


Ann Linnemann
The idea of the exhibition started with my travels in Italy, where 'Trompe l'oeil' caught my eyes.
The painted illusions of windows, relief and frames, where the real ones 'are missing' on the façade. Wikipedia: Trompe-l'oeil
This made my imagination wander with different ideas of space and form, thinking of concepts of reality and truth in relation to illusion.

Is reality the same, equal? Can you imagine mine? Is my illusion your reality? What is true? Doors and windows lead through the wall to the other side regardless of culture, philosophy or religion. The World is measured in horizontal and vertical lines. We can construct a perspective, but what are illusions?
I worked with a nearby and physical truth, my view from a couple of blind windows in the exhibition space.
I imagined the view, but thinking of different times and visions, and kept the idea of a physical space in my perspective drawing made in ceramic pastels with glaze-painted parts on large tiles and figure-jars in porcelain.

The picturesque ruins of Pompei and the casts of the people have for a long time been on my mind.
It is a pocket of time, a moment kept for ever.
I combined the painted 'illusions', landscapes and windows in porcelain with the rough casts of the window panels and figures in a grey stoneware.

Clay is a ductile soft material when it is wet as well as when the firing temperature influences the melting process, freezes the moment when the clay cools again.

Ann Linnemann - BIOGRAPHY

Special thanks to the National Art Foundation for a travel grant to Italy in 2011.
'Trompe l'oeil' - My photos from Italy: Camogli - Rome - Torin
'Trompe l'oeil'

My photos from Istanbul